Hair removal creams, also known as a depilatory, are a popular method of hair removal. Depilatories are inexpensive and can easily be applied in the privacy of your home. This article discusses how to use a hair removal cream to get the best results and the advantages and disadvantages of using this method to remove unwanted hair.
How does it work?
A hair removal сrеаm соntаіnѕ strong сhеmісаlѕ whісh dіѕѕоlvе thе hаіr just bеlоw thе ѕkіn’ѕ ѕurfасе. The mаіn іngrеdіеnt in mаnу dеріlаtоrіеѕ is саlсіum thioglycolate whісh breaks dоwn thе keratin, causing the hair follicle to disintegrate.
Depilatories can be used by both men and women to remove hair from almost any body part, except for the scalp, eyebrows, and nostrils. Hair removal creams are available in different strengths. It is advisable to use a cream that is specifically labeled for use on your face or private areas, as those are more sensitive areas. Facial depilatories often come with a post-treatment moisturizer and are less harsh on your skin.
How to apply
1. Perform a patch test on a small area of skin first. The inner arm is a good place to do this. Keep the application on the skin for the recommended time on the product instructions and remove. Wait 24 hours. If there are no adverse reactions such as redness, irritation or broken skin, then it is safe to use in a larger area.
2. Take a warm bath or shower and wash with a gentle cleanser. This will open up your pores and soften the hair, making it easier to remove
3. Dry the skin and apply the cream to the desired area in a thick layer. Do not rub it in.
4. Set a timer, and allow the product to remain on your skin for the time recommended on the product label. It is very important not to exceed the maximum amount of time that is recommended by the manufacturer. To do so may result in chemical burns. The recommended time for most depilatories is 4-8 minute
5. Wipe the depilatory off with a wet washcloth Do not use soap. Some creams come with a spatula to apply the cream and to scrape it off afterwards. If that is the case, use the spatula, rinse with water and pat with a towel to dry.
6. If your skin starts to burn or itch at any time during the procedure, remove the cream immediately.
7.If all the hair is not removed, wait 24-48 hours prior to repeating the procedure.
- It is inexpensive
- The product can easily be found and purchased at retail stores or online.
- The procedure does not require learning any special technique and can easily be performed at home.
- The results last longer than shaving, approx three to seven days for most people.
- It is painless.
- There are no razor bumps or ingrown hairs.
- Depilatories usually have a strong odor that smells bad. They need to be used in a well-ventilated area.
- Hair removal creams are not always effective if you have dark coarse hair.
- The results do not last as long as methods that remove hair from the roots such a waxing.
- This may not be the best method for sensitive skin.
If you are looking for a hair removal method that is easy on your wallet, painless and can easily be performed at home, then a hair removal cream may be the right choice for you.
Have you used a hair removal cream? Where you happy with the results? What is your favorite one?
Let me know in the comments below.